Finest Bets for the Break: A fast information to on-line leisure and digital experiences
The La Jolla Light presents this ongoing series of online activities that you can do on your computer or tablet during your quarantine dilemma.
Lectures & learning
• San Diego Writers, Ink is running a pen to paper writing class through Zoom on Thursdays at 1:00 pm. The class is open to all writers aged 18 and over, experienced or not. $ 5 per class. Contact instructor Diane Malloy at [email protected]
• The Center for Community Solutions will be hosting the final part of a series of virtual healthy relationships workshops online on Thursday, March 4th at 4:00 pm. The workshop is aimed at people aged 13 to 24 and deals with unpacking news in pornography. Free. bit.ly/TDVAMworkshops
• The Birch Aquarium at UC San Diego’s Scripps Institution of Oceanography is continuing its Jeffrey B. Graham Perspectives on Ocean Science Lecture Series online on Monday, March 8th at 6:00 pm online. “Getting Warmer? Ocean Temperatures Off the California Coast,” Scripps oceanographer Katherine Zaba will talk about how scientists are using innovative technologies to monitor and understand ocean warming phenomena such as marine heat waves and El Niño events affecting the California coast . Free. Bit.ly/birchlectures2021
Get the La Jolla Light in your inbox every week
News, features and sports about La Jolla, free every Thursday
Enter your email address
Sign me up
Occasionally you will receive promotional content from La Jolla Light.
• The La Jolla Community Center will present “Connect with Your Passion and Joy in Times of Stress and Isolation” online at 10am on Tuesday, March 9th. The psychologist and author Mara Karpel gives tips on how you can reconnect with a purposeful and meaningful life. Free. ljcommunitycenter.org/DSS
• The US Holocaust Memorial Museum will present the Western Region 2021 virtual event on Thursday, March 11th at 7pm. Actress Emmy Rossum will host the evening, which will host Holocaust survivor Gerda Weissman Klein and former white supremacist Derek Black belong. Registration by Wednesday, March 10th. Bit.ly/holocaustmuseum2021
Family & children
• TheCoderSchool La Jolla is offering free online coding workshops for children on Saturday March 6th. At 1:00 pm, “Build a Game in Scratch”, a drag-and-drop language for children between the ages of 7 and 11, will be offered. For children aged 10 and over, “Build a Game in Python”, a typed language, is available at bit.ly/coderMarch at 2:30 pm
• The La Jolla Recreation Center is offering a St. Patrick’s Day virtual craft course for children aged 5 to 10 on Wednesday March 17th at 4:30 pm. Children learn how to create their own leprechaun. Register for the Zoom link and supplies by Friday, March 12th. Go to sdconnect.com and enter the code 86641.
Art and culture
• Point Loma Playhouse will continue to broadcast “The Meeting” online from March 5th to 6th. The Jeff Stetson drama depicts a hypothetical meeting between Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X. Directed by Jerry Pilato with Rhys Greene, JK Weldon and Julian King Monroe. $ 10 and more. bit.ly/themeetingptloma
• Bach Collegium San Diego continues its 2020-21 virtual season with “Reginald ‘Rex’ Mobley: Bach to Bop” on Saturday March 6th, a talk by Matthew Henson. $ 25. bachcollegiumsd.org
• The North Coast Repertory Theater has extended Necessary Sacrifices online through Sunday March 7th. The full theater production, written by Richard Hellesen and directed by Peter Ellenstein, is a drama with portrayals of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass. $ 25. northcoastrep.org
Leonard Patton will be performing online on Sunday March 7th at Bodhi Tree Concerts’ Broadway Cabaret.
• Bodhi Tree Concerts presents “Broadway Cabaret” online on Sunday March 7th at 4pm. The livestream event, part of Bodhi’s 10th anniversary season, features Leonard Patton with Ed Kornhauser, Rob Thorsen and Julien Cantelm. $ 25. bodhitreeconcerts.org/tickets-1
• The Athenaeum Music & Arts Library presents “Leading Bad Boys and Girls of British Art” online on Wednesday March 10th at 6.30pm. The second of three lectures, led by Derrick Cartwright and Hugh Davies, will focus on Francis Bacon and Lucian Freud. Individual lectures are $ 14 for Athenaeum members and $ 19 for non-members. ljathenaeum.org/art-history-lectures
Author Claire Beams will discuss her book The Illness Lesson online in Warwick’s bookstore on Wednesday March 10th.
• Warwick’s Bookstore is featured by author Claire Beams on Wednesday March 10th at 4pm on Facebook Live. Beams will talk to Jeniffer Thompson about the new paperback edition of her book “The Illness Lesson”. Free. warwicks.com/event/beams-2021
• Adventures by the Book presents “Pairings & Prose: A Virtual Wine and Book Adventure” online on Thursday, March 11th at 4pm. The event will be attended by writer Kate Quinn from San Diego. $ 21.99 including book. bit.ly/ABBQuinn
• Belly Up in Solana Beach presents Ziggy Marley online on Thursday, March 11th at 6:30 pm. The performance, Marley’s first of the year, will be broadcast live with his band by Belly Up. $ 20. bit.ly/ziggyBellyUp
• The San Diego Museum of Contemporary Art is hosting an online discussion with Glendaly’s medina on Thursday, March 11th at 11am. The conversation is part of MCASD’s “Experiments on Stone: Four Artists from the Tamarind Lithography Workshop”. bit.ly/mcasdstone
Virtual galas & events
• Soroptimist International from San Diego will present “Women with Vision” and the Live Your Dream Awards online on Saturday, March 6th at 12:00 noon. The event features a virtual fashion show, lunch, awards ceremony, and entertainment. Soroptimist’s Live Your Dream Awards provide women who fund their families with resources to improve their education, skills, and job prospects. Tickets are $ 50 and up. sisandiego.org
• United Way of San Diego County and Warwick’s Bookstore are hosting a virtual book promotion for National Read Across America Day through Friday March 12th. Local businesses and individuals are encouraged to donate new children’s books. uwsd.org
What entertainment and other activities have you found at (social) distance? Email your leads to [email protected] ◆