Silk pillowcase benefits: 3 women on what sleeping on a silk pillowcase did for their hair, skin and sleep
The benefits of the silk pillowcase – including softer skin, less frizzy hair, and fewer wrinkles – have long been touted by beauty professionals. But how do the demands stack up when they are put to the test?
Given that we sleep decades of our lives, it’s important to understand how pillows can affect the quality of sleep. Once you’ve got yourself one of the best pillows, finding a great pillow cover is just as important.
Advantages of the silk pillowcase – what are the requirements?
Beauty experts rave about the benefits of silk and praise its superiority over cotton. Here are some of the claims about the benefits of silk pillowcases …
- Claim 1: Silk pillowcases do not absorb moisture (or dirt) easily. This supposedly prevents your skin and hair from drying out – while cotton pillowcases absorb moisture that can appear to dry out your skin.
- Claim 2: The smooth texture of silk is gentle on the skin and can reduce fine linesWhile cotton pillowcases can cause wrinkles in the skin, which can lead to wrinkles over time. (Even the best travel pillows can wrinkle the skin, so it may be worth investing in a silk pillowcase when you travel.)
- Claim 3: silk is moisture-resistant, Mites and dust, which makes it naturally hypoallergenic.
- Claim 4: Because of the smooth texture of silk, people are promoting it to reduce the friction on your hairThis will help prevent frizzy, tangled hair while you sleep.
- Claim 5: Silk can help regulate temperatureWhile it doesn’t cool you down (like the best cooling pillows do), it can keep you from getting too warm in bed.
But is the hype real? To put these claims to the test, we examined what three women who switched from cotton to silk pillowcases had to say about the effects of the swap on their hair and face.
You are a yoga teacher, beauty professional and avowed Redditor. Here’s what the women had to say about their experience …
Three women about their experiences with a silk pillowcase
The experience of a yoga teacher
Lillian Zahra, a professional yoga teacher, is dedicated to a low-maintenance, yogic lifestyle. One day she decided to deviate from her usual habits and pamper herself on a silk pillowcase.
After a week she experienced surprising results:
“So far there have been no pillow creases on my face and my serums and oils still only feel tangible on my skin in the morning (instead of being absorbed by a cotton pillowcase for a long time).
“As for my hair, the baby hair around my hairline is a little less unruly and my hair on day three now looks a lot more like my old hair on day two (I wash my hair twice a week). It just feels so … beautiful too.
“The silk is always at the perfect temperature (you don’t have to lie on a cold pillow) and it’s super soft. I’ve had visions of my head constantly sliding off my pillow, but it’s soft without being slippery. “
A beauty blogger’s experience
The Spears Sisters are two lifestyle bloggers who share beauty and fashion tips with thousands of followers. Heather Spears raves about her experience after deciding to experiment with a silk pillowcase.
“While my skin benefits were sufficient to sell me with new silk bedding on my trip, my hair is an even greater asset. I have naturally wavy / curly hair, there is a balance somewhere in between.
“Because of the texture of my hair, one of my big problems is frizz. After using my silk pillowcase the first night, I noticed far less frizz in my hair. The silky nature of the case means there is less friction between my head and the pillowcase. This makes my hair less prone to frizz. “
An online reviewer’s experience
While beauty bloggers and influencers provide vital information on the latest products and trends, there is no substitute for a layperson’s perspective. And silk pillowcases are a common topic on the popular Reddit forum.
A Redditor shared her experience with a silk pillowcase. I really wanted to be disappointed or hate it, but … I like it and I think it’s worth it. I use the slip one […] This will keep the serums and moisturizer locked in better than if I were using cotton pillowcases. I feel less dry in the morning. ‘
Across the board, anyone who tried a silk pillowcase noticed an improvement in their hair and skin health and would recommend using one. Silk pillowcases can be expensive – especially if you choose a model made from 100% mulberry silk. But for many, the benefits of glowing skin and frizzy hair are more than worth it.
Today’s best slip silk pillowcases